Today I’d like to announce Homebrew 3.3.0. The most significant changes since 3.2.0 are the migration from Homebrew/linuxbrew-core to Homebrew/homebrew-core for all Homebrew on Linux users, the official support of macOS Monterey (and, as usual, dropping the support for Mojave due to us only supporting 3 macOS versions) and the addition of an opt-in
HOMEBREW_INSTALL_FROM_API flag to avoid needing to have Homebrew/homebrew-core or Homebrew/homebrew-cask repositories tapped/cloned locally.
Major changes and deprecations since 3.2.0:
brew updatewill migrate all Linux users from linuxbrew-core to homebrew-core. This will also trigger the upgrade of some formulae installed from linuxbrew-core due to
- macOS Monterey is officially supported and requires Xcode 13.1. Monterey ships with Ruby 2.6.8 so we’ve released and use Portable Ruby 2.6.8.
HOMEBREW_INSTALL_FROM_APIis a new opt-in flag to install formulae and casks in homebrew/core and homebrew/cask taps using Homebrew’s API instead of needing the (large, slow) local checkouts of these repositories.
brew bump-formula-pr --writehas been deprecated in favour of
brew bump-formula-pr --write-only.
- The Internet Archive uploader was broken and no-one noticed so it has been removed.
- Various additional deprecations, disables and code removals.
Other changes since 3.2.0 I’d like to highlight are the following:
HOMEBREW_SSH_CONFIG_PATHsets the path a configuration file for using Git over SSH inside Homebrew.
brew edit --print-pathoutputs the filename to be edited without opening an editor.
brew developermakes it easier to enable/disable the Homebrew developer release channel.
- Artifactory and other private registries can be used for mirroring Homebrew bottles distributed through GitHub Packages.
- BuildPulse is used to detect and track Homebrew’s flaky tests.
brew searchdoes approximate matching of formula names.
ca-certificateswill be installed when necessary on macOS <= 10.15.5 to allow connecting to various HTTPS sites.
brew bump --start-withretrieves a subset of results.
brew searchcan search Arch Linux and repology.
HOMEBREW_ADDITIONAL_GOOGLE_ANALYTICS_IDcan be used to report to an additional Google Analytics tracking ID.
brew fetch --bottle-tagallows fetching a bottle for any specified tag (e.g. OS/architecture/macOS version).
brew upgradewill fetch all formulae before attempting installation.
brew installoutputs all cask installations at the end (like formulae).
brewwill start the sandbox in a pseudoterminal (to avoid potential formula access to the parent terminal).
brew stylewill check and fix more shell script style.
brew tap --custom-remoteallows changing the remote for an installed tap.
brew typecheckcan be run on Apple Silicon.
- Temurin will be recommended instead of the (deprecated) AdoptOpenJDK when installing casks that need Java.
- Homebrew accepts donations through GitHub Sponsors and still accepts donations through Patreon. If you can afford it, please consider donating. If you’d rather not use GitHub Sponsors or Patreon (our preferred donation methods), check out the other ways to donate in our README.
Thanks to all our hard-working maintainers, contributors, sponsors and supporters for getting us this far.