Today I’d like to announce Homebrew 1.6.0. The most significant changes since 1.5.0 are
brew install python installing Python 3, the deprecation of Homebrew/homebrew-php and various formula API deprecations.
Major changes and deprecations since 1.5.0:
pythonformula was upgraded to Python 3.x and
python@2formula was added for installing Python 2.7. We initially did not comply with PEP 394 and this was a mistake; sorry for the pain. We heard your feedback on Python 3 and made
brew install pythonand
brew install python@2PEP 394 compliant. We will not change this again until PEP 394 has changed.
- We deprecated and archived the Homebrew/homebrew-php tap and created new
php@*formulae in Homebrew/core. This completes the deprecation and archival of the last non-Homebrew/core tap for end-users. We encourage more niche formulae and options to be supported in taps outside the Homebrew organisation.
- Many formula deprecations have been disabled and disabled functions removed
curlinvocations now only read
brew audit --strictnow checks for
depends_on ... build.with?dependencies (because they don’t and cannot work as expected)
brew auditnow flags the use of
:rundependencies as they were a no-op
brew taprefuses to tap deprecated taps
Other changes since 1.5.0 I’d like to highlight are the following:
- We’ve updated our documentation to note that
--insecureon OS X 10.7 and below
brew unlinkno longer incorrectly removes versioned aliases
brew linkagenow outputs broken dependencies and missing libraries
brew bump-formula-pruses the GitHub API directly rather than
- You can now use
scp://in formula URLs
- Runtime dependencies handling is improved so e.g.
brew missingwill now have consistent output
- Bottles can use custom download strategy URLs
brew installwill now also search casks if the formulae was not found
root_urls can now use any download strategy
brew install --only-dependencieswill install any missing dependencies even if the formula is already installed
brew upgradenow has a
HOMEBREW_UPGRADE_CLEANUPenvironment variable to request automatic removal of old versions of a formula on upgrade
- Dependencies can now be
:testto indicate they are only used by the
brew irb --pryuses
brew rubycommands have been added for Homebrew developers
brew updatenow handles a too old system Git (by installing Homebrew’s
git) to access GitHub on OS X 10.8 and below
- If the
NO_COLORenvironment variable is set, Homebrew disables all coloured output
brew pinis no longer automatically undone by
- Homebrew now passes through the
- We now tell people when they need to upgrade their macOS installation to install a formula
- The Homebrew maintainers will attempt to have more of our communication in the open
- Thank you to everyone who helped with the Python and PHP migrations and provided constructive, polite and actionable feedback. No thanks to those who have used these as an excuse to abuse the entirely volunteer run project and maintainers. If you’re going to @mention individual maintainers or this project on Twitter with unkind or rude things: expect to be immediately blocked here and on GitHub. When you do that also please be aware that you are sapping volunteer motivation and in doing so make the project worse. In short, remember that open source maintainers owe you nothing.
- Homebrew still accepts donations through Patreon. If you can afford it, please consider donating. If you’d rather not use Patreon we’ve updated the README on how to make single donations through PayPal, cheque or wire transfer.
Thanks to all our hard-working maintainers, contributors, sponsors and supporters for getting us this far. Enjoy using Homebrew!